Cassandra DBA Consultant
Ft Worth, TX 76101 United States
looking for a Database Administrator (DBA) contractor for staff augmentation purposes to help manage its NoSQL database environment. The position will be responsible for defining, implementing and maintaining CLIENT’s physical Cassandra databases for the enterprise. Candidate should possess extensive knowledge of all aspects of Cassandra including monitoring and performance tuning. Knowledge & experience with other NoSQL and RDBMS database technologies is a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs physical database administration (dba) tasks in Cassandra.
• Designs and builds simple to complex database structures from data models.
• Installs, configures and patches Cassandra.
• Provide rotating 24x7 on-call support for CLIENT’s Cassandra environments as necessary.
• Work closely with application development teams to design, implement and support databases to support applications.
• Participates in design reviews as required to ensure database design meets application requirements.
• Designs, maintains, documents and executes database utilities to provide information regarding database activity.
• Proactively performs database monitoring and performance tuning tasks.
• Identify and provide innovative solutions to performance issues in multiple database environments.
• Performs basic dba tasks in RDBMS platforms as necessary.
• Provides automation to standard dba tasks. Able to develop scripts on UNIX and Windows platforms as necessary.
• Reviews and enforces adherence to the CLIENT Architecture, as well as database design and usage standards.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
o B.S. degree from an accredited university.
o Two or more year’s total experience as physical DBA in the Cassandra platform.
o Strong understanding of the Cassandra data model and architecture including installation, configuration of a cluster.
o Strong understanding of complex inner workings of Cassandra, such as the gossip protocol, hinted handoffs, read repairs, Merkle trees and Staged Event-Driven Architecture (SEDA).
o Strong understanding of what Replicas are, replica Placement Strategies, Partitions, Snitches, Dynamic Ring Participation and Security with in Cassandra.
o Five or more year’s total experience as physical DBA in a major RDBMS technology.
o Two or more year’s total experience in SQL.
o Two or more years of experience in database/application performance tuning and monitoring tools.
o Experience in database problem identification, problem diagnosis and resolution.
o Experience in building data architecture models and enforcing enterprise architecture standards and guidelines.
o Experience in implementing database high availability solutions.
o Candidate has excellent communication – ability to explain a technical problem to management.
o Candidate is a team player. Shares knowledge. Coaches team members.
o Ability to work on high performing teams and deliver under pressure situations.
o Experience in working with NoSQL database technologies.
o Experience in coding and/or debugging stored procedures
o Experience in working on complex application issues in a multi-tiered environment.
o Functional experience in multi-tiered application design and implementation.
o Functional experience in the development of railroad application systems would be desirable.